Defra (the UK government’s Department of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs) has updated its advice about post-Brexit pet travel between the UK and EU countries.

Key points from Defra’s advice are summarised below and on our website.

For the latest guidance, please visit the Defra website, whose information takes precedence.

Pet travel post Brexit from the UK to the EU

To make sure your pet can travel from the UK to the EU after Brexit, contact your vet at least four months before your travel date to get the latest advice.

The UK will become a third country when it leaves the EU. Under PETS, there are three categories of third country:

  • unlisted
  • Part 1 listed
  • Part 2 listed


If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it’s likely to be treated as an unlisted country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme (PETS).

That means a current EU pet passport issued in the UK won’t be valid for travel to the EU. You’ll need to allow four months between your pet’s rabies vaccination and the date of travel.

Part 1 or Part 2 listed

You’ll need to obtain documents from an official vet that replace the EU pet passport. The type of document you’ll need will depend on whether the UK becomes a Part 1 or Part 2 listed country.

Part 1 listed. The UK will operate under the same PETS rules as EU member states but with a different type of pet passport — the UK pet passport.

Part 2 listed. You’ll need to have your pet microchipped and vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel. You’ll also need to visit an official vet no more than 10 days before the date of travel to get an animal health certificate confirming your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

UK nationals living in the EU

If you’re a UK national living in the EU and plan to travel with your pet after Brexit using a UK-issued pet passport, speak to your vet to find out about the effect of Brexit and ensure you comply with PETS.

If you have a pet passport issued by an EU member state, you’ll be able to use it to bring your pet to the UK.

More information

Visit our summary web page or get full information from the Defra website, whose information takes precedence over ours.