Darius, Oscar, Mandy and Annie join the trip as we prepare to leave Greece

Darius, Oscar, Mandy and Annie join the trip as we prepare to leave Greece

Cocker Spaniel Darius belongs to Kelly, who lives in Cambridge. Now Kelly’s sister Theodora, who gained a first in her product design degree, is off to the UK as well, and Darius is going too, where he’ll be reunited with a very excited Kelly.

When Elizabeth and Andros were on holiday in the Kalamata area they adopted a Greek Sheepdog, Oscar, and a blind cat, Mandy. They’ve worked very hard to get a TRACES certificate to allow them to take these two pets out of Greece legally. There were obstacles at every turn and Andros even had to make a second trip to Greece. At the final step we accompanied them to the government veterinary office in Kalamata, where Oscar and Mandy were officially sent on their way to the UK.

Sara and her dog Annie have been on holiday in Zakynthos. Now it’s time to go home and Annie is travelling back to London with Animalcouriers.

Theodora with handsome Darius

Theodora with handsome Darius

Andros with Oscar the dog and Mandy in her cat carrier. Also in the photo is Daphne, who works very hard with stray and unwanted dogs and cats in the Stoupa area. Oscar and Mandy stayed with her until their pet passports became live.

Jo and John bring us Sara's cute dog Annie

Jo and John bring us Sara’s cute dog Annie

Hallowe'en is fast approaching

Hallowe’en is fast approaching

Watching the sun go down as we walk the dogs on our favourite Greek beach at Igoumenitsa

Hi Martha, says Stratis, the other dogs are jealous of our bandannas!

Hi Martha, says Stratis, the other dogs are jealous of our bandannas!

I always ask for a matching red lead when I go out

I always ask for a matching red lead when I go out

Sebastian ready for his walk. You can see how nice and straight his legs are, and he has lovely soft fur, too.

Sebastian takes a shy look at the sea from a safe distance

Sebastian takes a shy look at the sea from a safe distance

Forcy wondering whether she needs to use her legs when walking. She's a dog who'd much rather have a cuddle and a carry!

Forcy wondering whether she needs to use her legs when walking. She’s a dog who’d much rather have a cuddle and a carry!

We've always loved Penelope's diamante collar and are pleased to see she's still sporting it. Penelope is completely deaf, but pretty much the only time you know it is when we open the door of the van to the usual cacophany of 'walk me first' and lots of wagging tails. And there's Penelope, still curled up and sound asleep!

We’ve always loved Penelope’s diamante collar and are pleased to see she’s still sporting it. Penelope is completely deaf, but pretty much the only time you know it is when we open the door of the van to the usual cacophany of ‘walk me first’ and lots of wagging tails. And there’s Penelope, still curled up and sound asleep!

This morning, courier M who usually walks Oscar was busy cleaning a cage, so handed the lead to courier J. Poor Oscar just stood there looking very confused, so in the end we had to swap jobs!

This morning, courier M who usually walks Oscar was busy cleaning a compartment, so handed the lead to courier J. Poor Oscar just stood there looking very confused, so in the end we had to swap jobs!

Annie's attention was caught by some people having a picnic. Maybe there's some food for me? she seems to be wondering. This little girl had a hard start in life, feeding herself from rubbish bins.

Annie’s attention was caught by some people having a picnic. Maybe there’s some food for me? she seems to be wondering. This little girl had a hard start in life, feeding herself from rubbish bins.

Annie spots — and hoovers up — a fragment of biscuit left over from treat time earlier

Spaniels like Darius normally have their tails high and their noses down…

Spaniels like Darius normally have their tails high and their noses down…

…so it's rare to catch them sitting down like this

…so it’s rare to catch them sitting down like this

Daisy caught in a gust of wind. Her confidence has grown since we collected her on Crete. But we were sad to hear that the family cat, who'd been on standby to meet Daisy, sadly died last night, poisoned by anti-freeze.

Daisy caught in a gust of wind. Her confidence has grown since we collected her on Crete. But we were sad to hear that the family cat, who’d been on standby to meet Daisy, sadly died last night, poisoned by anti-freeze.

By | 2016-10-17T10:50:46+00:00 Saturday, September 27, 2014|animal rescue, animal shelter, animal transportation, pet travel by road|46 Comments

46 Comments

1. Jovina Coughlin September 27, 2014 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Looks like a very exciting trip for all.

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:35 am - Reply

It certainly is a bumper trip with lots of lucky passengers.

2. mihrank September 27, 2014 at 7:02 pm - Reply

Incredible and amazing post!

3. mihrank September 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Kindly support me on Facebook Fanpage. Appreciate if you could please ‘like’ my page :

4. angelswhisper2011 September 27, 2014 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Everything was so beautiful and we were smiling to see all the happy faces, especially the hair of Daisy, but when we read that the Family Cat died, I saw tears rolling from Granny’s eyes. That’s so sad and also the way the kitty died. I’m so sorry. Our deepest sympathy to the humans 🙁 Soft Pawkisses.

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:39 am - Reply

Isn’t it very sad indeed. You just have to hope for more positives than negatives.

5. hairballexpress September 27, 2014 at 7:58 pm - Reply

What a cute little guy!

6. Lavinia Ross September 27, 2014 at 9:27 pm - Reply

So sorry to hear about that kitty who was poisoned by antifreeze. My heart goes out to the family.

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:46 am - Reply

Heartbreaking to hear. Hopefully the arrival of Daisy will help take their minds off the loss.

7. giotoulam September 27, 2014 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Stratis looks like a real gentleman!! Thank you for the colour of the lead!!! He is so handsome and for me is the dog that I like…black, adult, forgotten ..The best dog!!Sending all my love and my only wish to him .”My darling please forget us !!”

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:46 am - Reply

Doesn’t he look wonderful! The very least we can do to show off how handsome he is 🙂

8. Marty the Manx September 28, 2014 at 2:45 am - Reply

Everyone is so attractive 🙂 Oscar’s walking “issue” made me smile 🙂 Condolences to Daisy’s famiy, that is horrible way for a kitty to die. Hope you and your lovely group have safe travels 🙂
    Marty

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:48 am - Reply

Terribly sad news but we hope Daisy will help to take their minds off their loss. Thanks Marty, we’re all getting closer to home by the moment.

9. petspeopleandlife September 28, 2014 at 2:49 am - Reply

Oh the dang antifreeze. In the states there is a brand/s that are not attractive to pets and normally pets will not lap up any. It is so important to keep a check on what’s spilling from the vehicles engine and not let your pet be a free roamer. I live in fear of antifreeze. I’m so sorry the people’s loss of their cat.

All the dogs are just gorgeous. Love the blind dog. They are generally sweethearts and easy to teach sign language for obedience, etc.

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 10:49 am - Reply

Yes, keeping antifreeze out of harms way is important. Didn’t know about the brand that isn’t attractive to animals – do you know the name?

• petspeopleandlife September 28, 2014 at 12:19 pm - Reply

No, I don’t know the name so I’ll do some research and see what I can find.I’ll let you know. This was told to me by a mechanic so I hope he was just not whistling through his teeth.

• petspeopleandlife September 28, 2014 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Here is what I found via Google: This antifreeze could still be toxic if enough were ingested, maybe?

No pet should be free roaming and so thirsty that it would resort to drink anything so disgusting.

All major manufacturers in the United States have voluntarily begun to add a bitter-tasting agent to antifreeze and engine coolant products to discourage children and animals from drinking it.

Historically, the toxic fluids had a sweet taste that appealed to pets and small children. Now antifreeze and coolant made by Prestone, Old World, Valvoline, Chevron, Shell, Recochem, Safety Kleen and Exxon Mobil include the bitterant, denatonium benzoate. The bittering agent has been used in household products and anti-nail biting formulas for decades

Read more at http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/2519-antifreeze-from-major-manufacturers-now-have-bitter-taste-to-help-protect-dogs#oQP4DMZy0HBhFw8B.99

• Animalcouriers October 1, 2014 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Thank you very much indeed for that info. We’ll do some research this end on what’s available in Europe.

10. sunsetdragon September 28, 2014 at 7:12 am - Reply

Darius is a sweet faced fella. Annie looks so full of life. What a festive display the pumpkins are. beautiful sunset.
    Daisy has quite the hair do going on there.
    Safe travels.

11. crazytraintotinkytown September 28, 2014 at 11:10 am - Reply

Loved Mandy & Oscar’s story

• Animalcouriers October 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm - Reply

It is a lovely story and great to see them in such a caring family.

12. easyweimaraner September 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm - Reply

It’s always great to see your cute passengers and specially Penelope :o)

• Animalcouriers October 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm - Reply

We hope to bring you many more updates on Penelope before and after her holidays abroad 😀

13. becomingcliche September 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm - Reply

I could just put Annie in my pocket!

14. Mary ntou September 28, 2014 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Lovely posts … Just a note , Forcy is a boy :p

• Animalcouriers September 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Mary, thanks for reminding us – we do hate it when we get it wrong! [ed]

15. Curt Mekemson September 28, 2014 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Oscar definitely had that “Do you think I am going anywhere with you?” look. 🙂 –Curt

16. Gunta September 30, 2014 at 5:58 am - Reply

All such wonderful fur-balls and great shots of them, too! Love the stories that go with them, but for the antifreeze bit. Such a sad way to lose a loved pet.

• Animalcouriers October 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm - Reply

And from what we hear, it shouldn’t really be possible any more if the most up-to-date products are used 🙁

17. Nylabluesmum October 9, 2014 at 3:14 am - Reply

We send our sympathy ont he passing of Daisy’z feline! Anti-freeze iz a terrible way to die. I pray the cat did not suffer long….
    Penelope is deaf?? I had no idea. She looks so alert.
    Precious Annie POOCHIE (LOL)…she is such a cutie pie & we are sorry she had such a rough start in Life.
    Wishing everyone a safe trip & happy reunions.
    Love Sherri-Ellen & Nylablue too x0x0x0

18. kiwidutch October 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Oh, how awful to hear about the antifreeze poisoning! 🙁
    I hope it was a genuine accident whereby the cat got into a storage area or something and drank the antifreeze by mistake with fatal consequences, rather than any malicious action by some terrible person intending to harm a defenceless animal.
    What a sad outcome, either ways…. we don’t personally have pets but I still hate to see any animal suffer, R.I.P. Puss….

• Animalcouriers October 28, 2014 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Yes, it is very sad that antifreeze can still kill. It was a genuine accident from what we heard 🙁

19. wolfgangpowerpoint.wordpress.com/ October 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Schöne Fotos. Freundliche Grüße, Wolfgang

20. Boomdeeadda October 28, 2014 at 12:46 am - Reply

Hello dear friends afar. I so miss all your wonderful photo’s of happy travellers, bound for homes and reunions. I think Annie is quite adorable. The little terriers are always so smart and alert. Sorry to hear of Daisy’s mate. Very sad indeed. So many dangers for kitties lurk everywhere. I really wouldn’t mind carrying Forcy all day long. Just a handful and barely that. LOL, what a good gig she’s figured out. All very handsome too, especially Sebastian. I think his fur looks soft from here, I can only imagine a cuddle would melt my heart. xoBoomdee

• Animalcouriers October 28, 2014 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Great to hear from you 😀 Bet work is going well though! How’s sorting of the house going?

• Boomdeeadda October 28, 2014 at 3:32 pm - Reply

I’m getting to the bottom of things but I can’t say my closets make any sense at all, LOL. I’m more into the ‘just get it out of the box’ mode. It’s going to take some time to feel well organized and I need to reconfigure the closets in this house to make them harder working. You’re really kind to ask, thank you. I hope I can hang out more often on line. Currently I should be getting ready for work LOL……have an awesome day over there! xoK

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!