Enjoying the cool, clean Swiss morning air

Enjoying the cool, clean Swiss morning air

Last night we stayed at Sisikon, near Luzerne (or Lucerne) — still a favourite place of ours, even though it’s where we broke down last month.

Sisikon is encompassed by a railway line and an arterial road that go to Luzerne and Zurich, a very pretty lake, and a backdrop of mountains. The road traffic and trains means it’s not a particularly quiet place, but none of that matters as it’s such a pretty spot.

The bracing Swiss mountain air has perked up our passengers. Even senior citizen Paddy had a distinct spring in his step this morning. We walked down to and along the lake, looked at the little marina full of boats, and watched people using the water taxi to travel to work in Luzerne on the other side of the lake.

Lush green pastures had the dogs thinking that maybe they were really cows as they grazed on the green grass and leaves. There were lots of new sounds and smells to enjoy as well — including a passing train nearly had Lucy jumping out of her fur!

For a moment we thought we had lost Chloe as she vanished from sight in the tall grass.

There was a swan having a leisurely morning bath, preening and cleaning himself. As each dog appeared for his or her walk, the swan gave them a quick ‘hissss’ to make sure they knew they were on his watch. With the exception of Bud, who thought he just might take the swan on, all the dogs were suitably respectful.

From here it usually takes us about eight hours to get to Calais.

The road and the railway

Green and lush landscape

Our hotel — the bottom right-hand balcony was ours

Water taxi

Sophie really enjoyed her morning walk

Handsome Joe shows his best side

Snow on the mountains behind Joe

Archie does his impression of a Swiss cow — head down and grazing

Benji takes a break from sniffing and eating grass

Lucy spots some ducks…

Who spot her right back!

Preening swan

Hmm, a swan? Think I’ll keep my distance, says Lucy

Bud considers chancing his arm

By | 2016-10-17T10:58:25+00:00 Friday, July 13, 2012|animal transportation, latest news, on the road, pet travel by road|0 Comments

No Comments

1. Jean Cameron July 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm - Reply

looks great and so nice to see Sophie, really looking forward to seeing her and Sammy

2. Mollie July 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Hi it’s Mollie here, yooo’s popped over to vote 🙂 Hopes your gonna keeps popping back! I’d luv to run and jump in all that grass. I’m asking Humom to take me to Switzeland 🙂 Handsome Joe looks like one of me, a border Collie. What a great thing yooo do. Doggie transport, how cool 🙂 Weee’s gonna follow yooo guy’s now.
    Paw Five’s to all the doggie’s
    Mollie x

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Hey Mollie – we’ll be back for sure! Loved the competition 😀 Misaki tipped us off it was happening.

3. crazytraintotinkytown July 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm - Reply

If Bud had decided to go in for a dip, he clearly was going to be taking one of you down with him!

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Luckily both courier M & J are too heavy for Bud to win in that situation 😉

4. Paws To Talk July 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm - Reply

What a lovely post. That is a beautiful place! The doggies seemed to enjoy it too.
    Bella and DiDi

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm - Reply

It is very beautiful and we’re always relieved when we reach Switzerland as the temperatures drop a little and we can all enjoy the walking more.

5. themisadventuresofmisaki July 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm - Reply

I don’t blame Lucy, I want to play with the ducks too 😀

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Aren’t they fun – only problem is they never hang around once you’ve gone in the water to join them 😉

6. stuffitellmysister July 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing this journey! Love the pics! Beautiful ♥

7. Zoe E White July 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Beautiful photos, folks. Obviously I’m biased, but I love those of Joe best. Just wanted to wish you a safe rest of the journey and to say thanks for such a great blog. I’ve loved being able to find out each day where Joe is. I’m massively jealous that he’s now visted Italy and Switzerland, two places I’d love to go. Thank you so much for taking such great care of him. Wishing you and all the pets on board the best. Happy travels!

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Thank you Zoe. Joe has been a delight (of course you wouldn’t guess by the number of photos!). We’re sure he’ll will give you a guided tour if you manage that European trip 😉

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Just heard from courier J, who says: “we have had a chat to Joan who says Joe’s looking forward to seeing Phil tomorrow. He also says he needs a good run in an open space please!”

8. heretherebespiders July 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Really beautifully written! The cooler air seems to do you good as well! 🙂

• Animalcouriers July 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm - Reply

We do hold our breath a little on these trips and when the heat gives and we get close to home, we get to enjoy the moment;-)

9. Gunta July 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm - Reply

It’s always such fun traveling along with you and your charges.

10. pawedblog July 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm - Reply

What a lovely place!! Bud, Myfie would agree with you … he thinks a swan’s hiss is code for a challenge!

11. Mustang.Koji July 14, 2012 at 6:26 am - Reply

Beautiful country… just beautiful!

12. Zac The All Black July 15, 2012 at 8:37 am - Reply

Your Swiss trip left Beloved a little ‘home sick’. She lived in Switzerland for a while and can feel the pull of Mountains 🙂

13. Equatours Limited July 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Great pictures – There is nothing better than fresh Mountain Air and the Boys & Girls look like they are having fun!

• Animalcouriers July 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm - Reply

By this stage of the trip – the relief at the lower temperatures lifted everyone’s spirits!

14. writecrites July 19, 2012 at 12:31 am - Reply

What a great service you provide. I loved seeing the pics of the dogs, and chuckled at their responses to the swan. I also wanted to thank you for following my blog, There and Back. I have an earlier post, Dogs and Angels, you might like. It’s about a dog who saved my life. One day, when I travel less frequently, I hope to have a dog of my own.

• Animalcouriers July 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Thank you! We’ve signed up for the newsletter and hope to read your story soon. The subject matter is intriguing…

• writecrites July 20, 2012 at 12:00 am - Reply

Thank you again for signing up for my blog. I’ll definitely be posting more animal stories as I go along. Do you transport horses, too?

• Animalcouriers July 20, 2012 at 9:36 am - Reply

Look forward to your animal stories. We used to transport horses but regulations get stiffer and stiffer so it isn’t worth our while anymore. We do know of a very reputable firm in the UK that specialises in international horse transport: http://www.locltd.com/

• writecrites July 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Many thanks. I know some horse owners who might be interested.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!